Friday, January 16, 2009

Lollypups is born.........

Here's Lacy in the very first Lollypups sweater design. It took 4 months just to set up the business, which included designing the product, registering the name, attending small business seminars and classes at FIT, meeting with hand knitters who could make up prototypes,(I crochet but I don't knit), researching vendors --China (very helpful) USA (not), Canada (rude) and keeping in communication with them. Designing the garment itself went fairly quickly. I'm not one to figure out stitches on paper but work a design out in my head as I'm doing it. The Lucky Rainbow sweater was pretty successful considering I only had to rip it out once :(
The one problem I encountered was in the fit but being the first prototype, that was to be expected. Lacy, my model and muse, is the perfect size medium but it looked too long on her so I eliminated the rose section at the bottom. The sleeve placement was a bit low too, and so I've adjusted the specifications and have sent it off to China to be reproduced as a counter sample.....we'll see how they do. It's been a nice journey so far.......working 16 hour days never felt so good! And Lacy's happy I'm at home to keep her company.

No comments:

Post a Comment