Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pet Fashion Week(end)

Slim pickin's at PFW this summer. Too bad. The products and the exhibitors were ALL great, their booths looked inviting and the offerings were very high end, current and totally saleable. It's just that there were fewer exhibitors this year than last but at $2000 a pop for a booth, I can see why exhibitors chose to stay away. Though the rain and steamy humid weather might have turned off some attendees, (I didn't go on Saturday but chose steamy Sunday instead), it's still a tiny venue that should be greater. The show in Sao Paolo, Brazil was over the top so why couldn't it be as great in New York where it first originated? In the heart of the garment industry. Derek and Mario are smart and must know the answer to that question, but I sure don't. It probably all stems from money (doesn't everything).

When PFW first began in 2006 I think it was, there were 6 foot tall models wearing haute couture and walking or carrying pets in equally haute apparel down a fashion runway. I wasn't in the petwear business then, but was still enraptured by the idea of catwalks with dogs on center stage. I know the economy has fizzled and luxury, or frivolous items moved WAY down on the priority list of most consumers, but........Just like Starbuck's philosophy, the key is to convince people that they truly WANT the best coffee on the planet and will truly WANT to pay $2.00 for it (or whatever a vente goes for nowadays.......)

To my benefit though, the vendodrs I spoke with were friendly and happy to talk to me and willing to share their ideas even though I was not a buyer, .............I love dog people.

No comments:

Post a Comment