Saturday, August 14, 2010

Getting the word out....step by step


The article written about Lollypups, Lacy and me in the Rivertowns Enterprise, came out August 13, 2010 and was a nice little perk. There's a column called"business buzz" for local business owners celebrating grand openings or offering unique new products, so I sent out the press materials to them and boom.......get a call. I did the same for Westchester Magazine but no word there .....and for all the consumer pooch magazines. No free press there either. They sent me the press kits to their respective magazines with their astronomical rates and said they'll let me know if they want to do a feature article....so that tactic didn't work. Not to give up though.
Doggie Aficionado did a nice job on the ad and, with minor tweeking, I approved it and it went to press the 13th as well. The "Best of " issue comes out in October. Then I can either use the same ad, or make another one for the Winter/ Holiday issue and a third one for Spring 2011. I need to develop some more Spring styles but can always feature Maxine (and offer other color combos). That would be fun.
Meanwhile, the freelance gig didn't work out (too slow), so I'm back in semi-retirement mode.
Not too upset about that though. It just made me realize how much I dislike working for other people. It's just not for me any more. I did my time. That's why I have to make Lollypups work....Everything about it is delightful!!
Got word back from Stockbridge Botanical Gardens, who I contacted about Lollypups being a vendor at their Holiday Marketplace from December 3-5....well, almost. The woman in charge was away but the director of the Gardens loved the website ...quote: These are adorable! ... and told me I'd be contacted at the end of August. That sounds like it may be worthwhile, as long as it's not too expensive for a table. Lots of cold weather up there in the Berkshires, lots of pet lovers and lots of wealth. Especially around the holidays..........it's so very Norman Rockwell!
Meanwhile, I was looking for more of those really cute vintage wood hangers that I love and came upon children's ABC blocks (the big kind). So I rummaged through and found all the letters for LOLLYPUPS plus a picture of a dog. Don't know what I was thinking when I told the owner I needed a "space" between Lolly and pups. (brain freeze) Glad to know the extra block was free and that they're making tremendous progress in treating Alzheimer's.
So, Italian dinner in the West Village with the spouse tonight, then a rock concert ....And onward I tread.........

No comments:

Post a Comment