Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Elegant yarns are spinning around in my head


Spin Expo, the premier fiber and yarn trade show is taking place at the Altman Building on 18th Street in NYC, July 19, 20 and 21. The yarns I've seen are luscious, especially the ones from Italy and though expensive, I've found several vendors with small minimums (which is the first question I always ask) They are very gracious and helpful and will be sending me style cards and even a ball or two of my yarns of choice to work into the new sweater designs. It's so exciting really because I can visualize what I originally wanted to do with Lollypups from the onset and now that I know who produces the yarns that would work for me, I feel a freedom that had been stiffled before, now opening up with new possibilities. Another thing I'm realizing, that in order to make these elegant, high end garments, although the crochet ones will be the bread and butter collection, with additional styles done by Peru, I may have to consider creating something for to be made by knitting machine. Stoll has a wonderful set up here in NY, with an online library and capabilities to create custom swatches. It's making my head spin.


There's a Spanish supplier I found who has the purple lurex yarn I had searched high and low for to use in the Misty style. Ofcourse it's too late now and Misty is a bit more subdued than the original, but for future reference, his minimums are low and they would send product (as was the case with all the vendors) to Peru.

It's been a fruitful couple of days. I wired Patricia the balance for production so she will be sending out the 4 boxes tomorrow. I've made some mistakes which I know is part of the learning process, but am excited to see the first collection and what the outcome will be.

I'm down to my last thousand dollars so I hope I can start replenishing my funds soon!

And finally, Patricia sent the picture of the Tigger scarf! Looks good. I'm convinced though that I must do the Candy and Misty styles as well. I'll work on the specs and let Patricia develop the samples since she has the yarn . Once I have the funds I can place another order or maybe by that time, I'll have gotten a loan. Back to work.............

No comments:

Post a Comment