Saturday, March 6, 2010

Let the waiting begin.......

All prototypes have been sent to their respective allocations in Peru and Bolivia I'm delighted to say. Now comes the not such fun part. The waiting....the anticipation.......I still have no idea how the garments will cost out but have informed both vendors of my target wholesale price point and if we need to change a button here, or a yarn quality there, I'm willing to compromise a tad. Patricia is sending out the yarn package on Monday and Javier is awaiting receipt of the protos in order to see first hand, what yarns will be suitable. I'm not sure all that is necessary since the jpegs I sent him were pretty clear and explicit. He did send me an attachment of the available Alpaca and Llama colors which always translate differently then the real thing, but I did see the yarns he was supplying to the knitted dog sweater company who I spoke with back in December at their booth at the high end craft fair.
While the clock ticks away, the fun part (and the least amount of time I get to spend creatively) is that now all those ideas sketched, yarns and trimmings researched, trade shows visited, fashion blogs and magazines perused and new novelty details discovered, can be made into the next new designs. It gets easier actually making them now that the pattern is pretty much solidified. Less rip out time. I'm doing a black and cream striped number, called "Pepper", with a brightly colored flower embellishment at the base of the collar. The style is simpler than the others but a bit more sophisticated and creates a focal point for the beautiful flower. I'd like to get at least 4 more styles made before the samples come in and either submit them for development or take them with me to So. America when I plan my April trip. I'm anxious to meet these amazing women of Peru and build an ongoing relationship with them and other Fair Trade artisens. This is quite a journey and keeps getting more and more interesting.
I'm so antsy to get this product launched but will continue to take one step at a time and avoid past mistakes. All is good (and Emily made the Dean's list and will graduate UAlbany in May)
So it's not just Lacy who makes me kvell. It's my daughters too.

No comments:

Post a Comment