Monday, January 2, 2012

Holidays fun.....and .....over........

I'm no Ebenezer Scrooge.....not by any stretch...I LOVE CHRISTMAS TIME......however, I find that as I get older, my tolerance level has waned .........to.......nonexistent.  I don't know why, I just find so many things about celebrating the holidays have become fodder for situation comedy-like situations,  or reality shows (both of which I've never taken a liking to). 
I found refuge at the shelter though. 50 plus dogs were rescued from a shelter down South and transferred to Elmsford over the holiday and I went to pay a visit.  They were in various stages of confusion which was sad, but several volunteers were soothing, talking and making them feel welcome.
There was Button, pure white, wiry haired and skittish.  A few milk bones and scratches behind the ears, and he was ready to go.  I took him out and we played in the yard, he's great with tennis balls......as long as you have several on hand as he grew bored with each one,  and he wanted to RUN, when we started to take a walk.  That was OK, I was glad to oblige but, my running days are over and the senior me had to slow down (reluctantly) after a short period of time.  Ah youth..........He would gallop like a stallion set free, tongue flapping and wearing what looked like a big grin.  It made me so happy to feel that same breeze on my face that he was feeling on his.  No more fear, no more uncertainty .......but then he'd stop short......bow his head down in a cringe, lower his tail and look back over his shoulder at me with sad eyes.  It broke my heart.  Who scared you Button, who would dare to hurt you?  Never again now that you're here. We will see to that.   Now he needs to relearn how to trust.


I'm happy to report, Dale, the beautiful great dane mix,  was adopted in December,  though I had no doubt he would be.
Sheeba, still my first priority, has slowed down a lot.  Kind of behaving like Lacy does now.......
two steps forward......stop.....look up as if to say, that's enough.....treat , two more steps forward.  I guess old dogs follow the same age related pattern (don't we all?)  Sweet girl.

Stayed with friends in the city for New Year's weekend like we did last year.  Great food, wine and champagne flowing, Central Park fireworks and midnight runners slapping five to shouts of Happy New Year and horns blowing. Lots of merriment and celebration.  Good for the soul, for sure. Then movie marathon, junk food, bloody mary's and an 80 pound black lab pretending she's a lap dog, sleeping on top of me.  Silly Tilly.  While Lacy was all out of sorts the whole time there, doing nothing but sleeping, body pressed against the arm rest of the leather couch. 
Now it's back to work.  The pre-Westminster Gala will take place on February 10 and I've once again decided to participate.  I did ok last year, and broke even so even if I do the same this year, I think it's important that I keep the brand in the public eye.  I have some new harnesses (as per my previous post delighting over the newly discovered fabric resource right across the Tappan Zee bridge) and intend to sell the sweaters at wholesale prices for the night.  It feels good to be able to concentrate on the business again. It feels good to be healthy again after two back to back bouts with major bronchial infections since our return from Italy.  It feels good that 2011 and the joy that year brought to our little family unit is still reverberating.  Jeff was a bit more mellow and less curmudgeonly this year, during our festivities, due mostly to it being Logan's first Christmas.  Children always make celebration happier.
So........2012.......here we are.......doing what we do, living and loving, working and playing, making a difference.... what's in store?  Can't wait to see........   Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment