Wednesday, November 2, 2011

THE DOGS OF ITALY

We took a trip  to Milan, Sardinia and Florence this past month. Besides doing all the touresty things, I observed how Italians treat their dogs, and there were many to observe. For the most part the pups appeared loved and well cared for, and as in most of Europe, accompanied their human everywhere. Bakeries, boutiques, meat markets, restaurants......everywhere I went, there they were, like little alter egos participating in daily human activities with patience and grace. However, I did notice that Italians DO NOT dress their dogs. I saw very few sweaters (though the weather was still fairly warm) and certainly, no fru fru dresses, tee shirts or bandanas so my undisclosed hopes of expanding the business were sadly deflated.

It  appeared that the dog of choice in Milan and Florence was a squat little, smooth coated terrier type, a breed I was  unable to identify. I must have seen a dozen of them-- fawn and white or black and white with a patch over one eye.  There were also quite a few strays roaming the streets. One little apricot colored poodle had no collar and trotted along the narrow streets in Florence. It walked right up to two other small dogs sitting with a homeless man resting against a building, and as if in recognition, wagged it's tail excitedly as if wanting to play. They just snorted and he trotted off again. Was he lost? He didn’t appear to be in distress and did seem well taken care of.  I would have scooped him up in a nano second but thought, what would I be able to do for him? Take him home? I think not. I looked around to see if there was anyone to whom he may have belonged, but peope just continued to scurry along and took no notice of him.   This was all far too emotionally draining on our first day in Florence, so I made a note to myself to check out what kind of shelter programs are available for pets in Italy. Curious.
We went into the Mercado Centrale, a huge indoor market in via dell'Ariento and took pictures of the displays of fresh mushrooms (truffles are in season), fruits, meats and cheeses while deciding what wine we wanted to buy. At one meat stand, a butcher was tossing scraps to an excited patron standing on hind legs at the meat display. The pup deftly caught each morsel and barked in anticipation of more, to the amusement of all who stopped to watch.

 I visited several shops in Milan and Cagliari (in Sardinia), two of which were for pet products. No apparel at all in the Milan shop and only a few inexpensive sweaters were displayed in the other. But again, human boutiques had their share of the canine variety of shopper. A very regal gray and white grayhound wearing a thick leather collar on its long elegant neck, walked out of one shop. There were dog displays in another shop and dog art was plentiful in the piazzas throughout each city.   

We visited a small village called Pula in the southern tip of Sardinia and twice had lunch at a restaurant in a piazza at the towns' center.  There was a sweet little stray who wandered among the tables outside, came to our table and plopped himself down beside my chair, as if knowing I was a dog lover and someone who would give him something to eat. 
Here's another one I wanted to take home with me!  I know when I volunteer at the shelter back home, I feel the same way, but in a foreign country, where I'm helpless to do anything for these little guys, it really took out a chunk of my heart each time. Just look at that face.  I've got to stop feeling this way.  NOT!!  Happily, I saw that the restaurant owner gave him a giant bone and he trotted off to a nearby patch of grass to eat. He's probably a regular and gets fed all the time. So all's well in the little man's life today.  Good dog!








No comments:

Post a Comment