Friday, February 25, 2011

Spring harness development

Yesterday was development day and my trek into the garment district of NYC proved to be (finally) a success.  I found four stunning 100% cotton qualities at reasonable prices and discovered many new trims, but bought two that I could use for now.  I'm also getting e/mails from the vendors I visited at Texworld last month with fabric information and trim prices so much is coming together.  I LOVE  this phase of development.  In a nano second, a pattern or fabric will catch my eye and a silhouette pops into my brain.  All the research on closures and interesting details I'd done over the past months seem to fly out of my temporal lobe filing cabinet and float together with the fabrics, embellishments and lining colors and the garments practically design themselves. 
Had lunch with my good friend Suzanne, fabric maven and super sales agent, and talked about the possibility of her hooking me up with converters who don't have giant minimums.  Next conversation.... how does one introverted designer become an ace sales person without feeling personally hurt every time someone doesn't buy my product.  Of all the hats I must wear, this is the most important and the only one I have the biggest problem with.  Go figure. 
Lacy is making the most obscene, guttural noises and yips........almost like she's trying to speak in human words.  Which reminds me of the terrific book I'm reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" a novel by Garth Stein. Enzo is also an old dog and human life is viewed from his perspective and amazing insight.  Lacy however, just wants to eat....too early old girl.
The weekend will be for doing girly wedding things again and a visit to my dad, so not much design time until we leave for Florida on Tuesday.  I'll be antsy, I know, because we'll be gone for a week and I won't be able to do much in the way of designing so, I'll do as much as I can today.......and off I go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment