Sunday, July 26, 2009

Even Diva dogs can get the blues......

For the first time in her 12 year lifespan, Lacy is officially sick. She's been out of sorts before but always bounced back in a 24 hour period. No vet needed, no meds...just her usual puppy-like self. This time, I'm sad to say, she's showing her age (hmmmmm.......so am I lately......I wonder, is it contagious?) Vet says its a pancreatic infection and so she's been on antibiotics for a week now. No problem giving them to her since Jeff discovered that if you cut the pill in quarters and bury them in chunky peanut butter, she thinks its quite a treat and laps it up.
And here I am, boiling chicken and rice and feeding her this bland diet in small portions three times a day. No appetite problem here either, which I take to be a good sign. After a week and follow up tests, she pulled through and it seemed the infection was gone. However, she's still lethargic, stays right by my side (even on my trips to the john) and is just not the same. Her gait is no longer bouncy, her head and shoulders slump downward and although her ears and eyes were checked, she doesn't respond immediately when I call out her name.. She's just not herself and has slowed down considerably. She won't take the meds in the peanut butter anymore and, on the vet's advice, I weaned her back onto her dry food which she won't eat. So it's back to boiled chicken and rice I think. I'm more diligent about her exercise routine in the hopes that she'll snap out of it and I've taken to bringing her with me where ever I go. This is the part of loving a pet that is scary.
Though obviously distracted, I've been working diligently on the business plan and am struggling with financial portion. Not exactly sure how I'm supposed to predict sales when I haven't sold anything yet but..........
My China resources have been great in that once I've explained my new strategy with Lollypups (merchandising several items around the color/ pattern stories of the sweaters) they are full of suggestions as to what I can and can't do. I realize now that although frustrated with the amount of time it takes to establish a business, that time is also spent solidifying business relationships as well and I feel more comfortable with the vendors I've been working with as time goes by.
I wanted to attend the HH Backer trade show in Chicago but unless I'm ready to show, their rules for non-exhibitors are very restrictive and expensive. I still hope to launch the website by September and take advantage of this holiday season then be ready for the Spring circuit and introduce lighter weight garments and accessories.......so , onward we trod (and still loving this).

No comments:

Post a Comment