Thursday, October 21, 2010

Our favorite cause

Lacy and I attended another adoption event for the Larchmont, NY branch of Pet Rescue, an all volunteer non-profit organization whose mission is to take in abandoned and neglected dogs and cats and provide them with medical care, and foster homes until a forever home is found for them. The dogs were (of course) the most charming, beautiful and loving participants and I'm happy to say, while I was there, 6 of them were adopted. The event was held at Calling All Dogz , a flower shop and pet product boutique in Larchmont NY, owned and operated by Liz Alfari who's very presence bursts with friendliness and affection, making her the perfect fairy-dog mother. Her twinkling eyes and enthusiastic laugh made the event a delight to observe as she greeted each potential pet parent and espoused all the great qualities of each dog and cat present and available to adopt.
I loved Dax, a 13 month old mini poodle who was sweet, calm and loving, regularly enveloping his foster mom with kisses.
Another beauty was Smokey, a Pomeranian mix who lost his left front leg after being hit by a car.  In spite of this, he gets around great and swallows up all the attention he receives.  Such a sweet boy!
There was a sister team of unknown breed who both stood on their hind legs at every passer by as if to say, "look at me", "pick me". They both melted my heart and would make a great pair of companions for any child. A little girl came by twice announcing, “next week's my birthday!! Please mom, please can I have a dog”, and of course, the two sisters jumped all over her and kissed her as if trying to seal the deal. (I think they did)  And there were little puppies, being terminally cute as is their function.  Lacy in her Lucky sweater, sat regally in her usual "buy my sweater" pose.  We handed out brochures and were happy for the crisp fall weather to drive the point home that all pets NEED a Lollypups sweater. Old man winter is approaching fast.

After doing wedding stuff for my youngest for the past 3 days, it will be good to get back on track. We stopped in on a few pet boutiques in Manhattan on Sunday, that will need following up as well as the two or three that looked right in Westchester. I'm slowly moving over to the retail possibilities at this point. Though not totally discouraged, the lack of traffic to the website and slow sales are making me rethink my strategy. People still LOVE the product......I need to focus on bringing the cost down too-- something I will be working on on my next trip to Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment